From:
Sandra Steingraber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 22:38:56 -0500
My colleague Pat Costner alerted me to the following new report:

In a study by Adolfsson-Erici and others that has been accepted by
Chemosphere and is currently in press, Swedish  researchers have
found "high levels of the commonly used,  effective  bactericide
Triclosan" in "three out of five randomly  selected  human milk
samples."  They also found Triclosan in the  bile of fish  exposed to
municipal wastewater in laboratory  experiments as well  as  fish
living in the receiving waters of three  wastewater treatment
plants."

Triclosan is used in products such as toothpaste, detergents,
household sponges, plastic cutting boards, socks, and underwear.
Ciba-Geigy, the main manufacturer, uses the names Irgasan DP 300 and
Irgacare MP.  Fibers and polymers treated with Triclosan  have names
like Ultra-Fresh, Amicor, Microban, Monolith, Bactonix, and
Sanitized.
--
--

Sandra Steingraber, Ph.D.