Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2011 00:53:41 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Hello all,

I don't believe that there is enough scientific evidence to prove that circumcision affects breastfeeding negatively and therefore, I would think that this is really off topic.  In a country where most males are circumcised we boast a 87% success rate of breastfeeding, not to mention my own personal survey of two. 

Aside from the lack of sensitivity involved in this very heated debate, it is offensive to attack ANY religion's beliefs even if it does go against something that we truly believe strongly about.
I would not compare male circumcision to "mutiliation" because they are two separate procedures with two very different outcomes, so one can argue on both sides. That is why there are debates and differences of opinion.

But I would hope that Lactnet and other non-sectarian organizations would remain strife free, and safe places to discuss breastfeeding matters and not arenas for controversy and disrespect towards our colleagues varying religions and beliefs.  We today are large international organizations, encompassing many global communities with varied customs and beliefs and in order to remain impartial and welcoming to one and all, we need to separate the issues. In many parts of the world this is not even an issue because circumcision is even rare! 

Respectfully,
Ellen Shein, IBCLC, LLLI
Tel Aviv  

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5692 (20101210) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2