From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:23:23 EDT
Dear Ellen,

I personally experienced a short-lived strike with my youngest almost 12 yrs
ago when she was about 9-10 mos.-I felt absolutely horrible for loudly
telling her "no" when after letting her slide off the breast all day with her
teeth grating my nipples, when she bit down during late evening feeding I
"overreacted" to the pain. She screamed and refused the breast for perhaps an
hour or more and we both cried herself to sleep finally (never did that
happen before, I felt so badly.) I was lucky since during the night as she
slept next to me I watched for feeding readiness and put her to breast
gingerly (I was very sore) but breathed a sigh of relief when she did nurse.
I hurt for a few days and we both warily regarded each other but nursing was
back on track for which I was grateful!

I often tell moms to offer breast alot, especially before baby seems hungry
or in need of breast, sit on floor bare breasted and let baby come to mom,
carry baby with mom bare breasted, skin contact etc and just persist but
respect baby's refusal and not force.   Eventually moms get baby back to
breast.  Also milk in cup is better than bottle because then aby misses
sucking and can meet that need at breast.

Hope this helps; feel free to share with mom.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY