From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 2015 12:01:59 -0600
The CBI RL just received a lovely package of recent research from Judie Gubala. Judie goes to the library about once a month and digs.  I thought a couple were very interesting.

"Maternal Report of Advice Received for Infant Care.  Eisenberg, S.R. et al. Peds, Vol. 136, no 2 Aug 2015 Questions asked of 1031 mothers of infants aged 2-6 mo. Assessed advice received from: drs, birth hosp nurses, family & media about: immunizations, breastfeeding, sleep position, sleep location & pacifier use.  Mothers commonly received either no advice or recommendations inconsistent advice from each of the 4 sources studied.  Black, Hispanic & 1st time mothers were more likely to report recommendation of consistent advice.   Some things to think about.

The next one was weird.  They gave breastmilk or formula or other formulas(not commercial) to adult breastfeeding mothers and equal # healthy adult subjects. Then checked their glycemic and insulin index periodically after ingestion.  They found no significant differences between breastmilk and commercial formula and a wide range of responses to other formulas.  They are trying to figure out if breastfeeding lowers risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes. Said there was a growing body of evidence that it does not.  Could not use infants because of ethical considerations. Just seemed very convoluted to me.  How do we know how an exclusively BF baby for 4-6 mo would figure into this mix.
"Effects of human milk and formula on postprandial glycaemia and insulinaemia"  Wright C.J.Eur J Clin Nutr, (2015) 69, 939-943.

Now I need to go to the P.O. and and get on with everyday life today, Pat in SNJ