From:
"Janna M. Frelich" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 11:49:01 -0500
This is a very late reply to this thread.  I hope it can still be placed
in the compilation with the other replies.

To preface this, I'll state that my oldest, now 6-1/2, nursed regularly
until she was about 6 years and 10 days old (of course, only at bedtime
for the last 2 years or so).  My 3-1/2 year old continues to nurse
mornings, bedtimes, and occasionally at other times (sickness or cuddles).
This experience includes tandem nursing them until the younger was 3 years
old.

When I was 7, my uncle's Italian-American wife had the first of her four
breastfed children.  I remember my mother remarking that neither me nor my
siblings were nursed, and that my aunt was a member of La Leche League.
Oddly enough, I have no memories of her actually breastfeeding in my
presence, although she must have.  Then, when I was 11, my older sister
had her first of three, whom she breastfed.  None of my sister's kids was
breastfed more than 6 months.  (I also have NO pictures in my mind of my
sister nursing!  How odd!).

In any case, I remember thinking as a teenager that I would have one child
and breastfeed, just so I could experience the act of breastfeeding
because that's what mammalian breasts were for (I've always loved biology
as a study subject by the way)!  In my twenties, when I was having TMJ
troubles (Tempero-Mandibular Joint, the jaw), and my dentist said my NOT
having been breastfed was a factor in this pain, I thought to myself,
'another good reason to breasfeed.' In the years just before my children
were born, there were a few of my friends who nursed, but none seemed
overly public in the way they did it, nor did they do it for more than a
year (or so I thought). [Now I know a number of my church friends who not
only breastfed for long time-spans, but also practice co-sleeping.]

Before my firstborn, when I saw a breast- or bottlefeeding baby, I looked
at them 'equally'.  I didn't know of the incredible benefits of
breastfeeding until my first was born and I started reading Womanly Art,
etc.  After she was born, then I began to notice the difference in the way
a breastfed baby is nurtured from a bottlefed baby.  Now when I see a
bottlefed baby, particularly one who is propped up and left alone in a
carriage, I cringe and I feel incredible sadness/pity for that child and
for its parents who 'don't know any better'.  And then I feel incredible
anger towards a societal system that perpetuates the 'disassociation' of
mothers/fathers with their children.

With my firstborn, I also found out that with allergies, breastfeeding is
a health/lifesaver.  By eliminating dairy from my diet, I was able to
'cure' my infant's colitis (intestinal bleeding) and continue
breastfeeding.  If I was bottlefeeding, I would have had to purchase
expensive allergenic formula.  [Also by not being 'able' to eat ice cream,
milk chocolate candy, etc., I could wear my pre-pregnancy clothes!]

Having the experience of nursing is truly enlightening:  I had been so
afraid of parenthood, but when I was holding and nursing that baby, I
wasn't afraid of anything, but content with everything!  I remember when
my first was about 2 or 3 months old, how one day I had this catharsis of
sadness realizing that one day she would stop being a breastfeeding baby!
Then I knew I wanted to have a second child because I loved breastfeeding
so much (and of course, this meant that I loved the emotional nurturing of
and bonding with children, as well as the physical joy of breastfeeding).
[And of course, I'm really torn in my decision NOT to have a third child
at age 40 as I'd love to nurture an infant again, but for many reasons
we've felt it 'practical' not to have a 3rd!]

And, when I look at my children, I feel amazement and joy at the 'fruit of
my labors' that my own body and soul and breasts produced.

                                ,,^,,
                                 `-'
Janna M. Frelich                                 [log in to unmask]
Coordinator, Breastfeeding Resource Center (LLLI)
Harvard School of Public Health
Boston, Massachusetts