From:
Terriann Shell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:54:08 -0800
Kathleen A's post about kittens and puppies manipulating the breast
reminds me about a reindeer farm near my home.  There, if you're not
watching, baby reindeer will come up and butt their heads into you.  It's
the action they do to their mothers bellies (read nipples) to make them
let down.  Reindeer are a herding animal and they are constantly on the
move and need to take flight if danger appears and so they nurse within
one minute and consume 11 ounces of mother's milk!!  No wonder they need
to elicit a quick milk ejection response.

By the way, reindeer also are supposed to have the highest percentage of
fat in their milk- 11% to meet their needs for quick growth and warmth in
these cold climate.

Terriann Shell,
Big Lake, Alaska