From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 08:37:57 -0700
Dear Jean,
You post on the "most severely inverted nipples you've ever seen"
brings up a point that I could only really share with this group.

After my fitting women for prosthesis for 23 years now, my daughter has
taken over and related to me that she fit someone yesterday with a
lumpectomy for breast cancer with the worst inverted nipples she had
ever seen.  She said you could put 1/3 of the length of your index
finger up into the indention.

I made mention of this to a surgeon over 15 years ago.  From my
experience I wonder if inverted nipples in females convey the same risk
for breast cancer as undescended testicles in males increase the odds
of their risk for testicular cancer.

I wonder if it is form or function that presents the risk and by at
least pumping for their child, the risk is lessened.  This is just
something observational that no one, to my knowledge, has kept any
statistics on.
Judy Ritchie, bra fitter