From:
Denhez Louise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:54:24 -0400
We all agree about the importance of an early feed (within the first hour
of life). However, there are some occasions when this first feed cannot
be done so early, and it worries me out of my wits to hear health
professionals express despair over this breastfeeding relationship (as in
"it is essential that the baby feeds within one hour, or else, the
breastfeeding will ..... fail, be of short duration, be difficult, or
whatever"). And it worries me even more when the mother is made aware of
the doom and gloom surrounding the issue.
Sure, a later first feed is one more hassle on the road. But I make sure
(as if I was a know-it-all...) to tell the mother that some women have
breatsfed their adopted baby, or their small premature baby, and that
almost nothing is impossible with a bit of patience and good humor.
So, try your very best to awake this baby, but, if he is too knocked out,
try later, and give a lot of support to the mother, already disappointed
of not having had the perfect delivery, not having heard the first cry,
not having held her baby, etc... Be reassuring, be present, smiling and
full of confidence.
If this was a soapbox, I am off it now...

Louise Denhez, M.D., M.P.H
Chargee d'enseignement clinique
Departement de medecine sociale et preventive