From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 18:29:52 EDT
Dear Jeanette,

I run a small (4-6 moms and babies) support group and have found that sharing
lots of resource materials for moms and dads to read, teaching empathy, and
modeling how I hold their babies and talk with them, encouraging offering the
breast instead of jiggling a fussy baby is helpful.  Some of the resources
(feel free to email me privately for more details-I'm not near my resources)
I use are:  Elliot Barker, MD, who is president of the Canadian Society for
Prevention of Cruelty to Children-he has several pamphlets at low cost if one
joins the Society on attachment parenting, the effects of early
parenting,etc. that are wonderful; Mothering magazine, Lee Salk's books,
Sears' books, old copies of Nurturing Parent mags, to name a few.  I also
have copies, or will copy articles, etc and mail them to moms that I speak to
on the phone.

We live in a very narcisistic, materialistic society and education needs to
begin in schools, but when it's too late for educating the young and they're
already parents I think we can non-judgmentally and warmly influence (to a
degree and dependent on receptiveness) parents of infants.  When it works, it
feels sooo good and often I've found parents just are uninformed and are open
to learning and allowing themselves to grow thru parenting empathically.
Sorry for going on so; this is a passion of mine.

Barbara Latterner, BSN,RN,IBCLC
Brewster, NY

LLL also has wonderful articles and listings of books which I often use and
refer moms to.