Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2014 09:03:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
The thing I would caution here is we have two variables - mother and baby.  A mother with a genetic tendency to have excellent milk supply can make up for her baby's less than stellar performance.  A baby who only nurses on one breast per feeding is actually nursing every 6 hours on that individual breast.  If the breast has a good storage capacity, it will build up in volume and force of let-down which can cause a substantial transfer of milk without baby having to generate a great seal or vacuum.   So your personal situation is a great combination.  However, it does not invalidate the need for lip and tongue-ties to be corrected or the need to evaluate a situation individually.  This is why a scale can be important.   I spent some time yesterday in a meeting with a speech therapist who told me of so many clients that had lip and tongue-ties that were unaddressed as infants and now are spending considerable money and time doing therapy to overcome those issues and their effects on speech.  You can review data on kiddsteeth.com regarding the effects on dental issues.   Personal experience is a great thing, and can be reassuring.  I have survived and nursed over 3 years a baby who had a complete tongue-tie.  If he had been my first, born before having any real knowledge or experience with breastfeeding, we wouldn't have lasted 2 weeks!  

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tina Schallhorn

Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:53 AM

Subject: scales

Personal experience here.  My baby was tongue and lip tied.  Had a frenotomy only at the hospital due to inability to latch (and pain on my part).  We never corrected the upper lip tie.  The "feeding picture" for him is to latch on, upper lip completely turned in, stay on for about 5 minutes only on one side and be done (feeding on demand about every 2-3hrs).  Yes we can hear swallows, but you would think he was a horrible nurser with a visual assessment only.  Pre and post weighs don't lie though, and he indeed transfers about 4oz in that short time frame with that apparent horrible latch.  He is now 5 months old, just over 18lbs (was born 7lb10oz), and my supply is great, in fact, we share quite often with other moms in need. I have to say it was a visit to the IBCLC 3 days after him being born that convinced me we would not be doing any interventions!  As a CLC, I was "seeing" the horrible picture but as a mom, the pre and post weight convinced me that he was transferring well, and that is all I needed to feel that we were doing great, even though it didn't "look" like it.  Over the last 5 months, weight gain proved us right.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2