Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:21:54 -0600
One issue in encouraging everyone to use dairy products for their calcium
needs is that if a person is of a heritage that doesn't do well with dairy
foods, there is a false sense of security in depending on these foods for
adequate calcium assimilation.

I researched this issue when my first child was young.  She was measured
each fall and spring at school and she didn't grow much in height.  I
wasn't surprised because her father is Japanese and I am short myself
(albeit the only one in my family of origin). After finding that she had an
allergy to dairy foods, I removed all dairy from her diet and  I
supplemented with calcium/magnesium.  Within the following school year and
those following she increased her height surprisingly.

My studies indicated that if there is an allergy or sensitivity the
nutrients will not be adequately assimilated from the gut.  Makes sense.

I have a Japanese friend who said that as she was growing up she was
nauseated after each meal, later to find that it was the milk that her
mother had learned that all of the children should drink with each meal.
Her gut was *not* happy with this recommendation.

When people can handle milk products without being less well, it is fine
for them to use it, but it should be known that for many people it does
interfere with their optimal health. Many Latinos and African American, and
Asians do not digest milk products well and would not be eating much of
them in their native diets. Even more peoples around the world don't ingest
liquid milk.

I would like for these ethnic differences to be considered in the American
WIC populations but I know that it is a long time in coming. It really
doesn't serve them well to stress their use of foods that do not enhance
their well being.  But we know that "one size fits all" is the normal
practice in dealing with the masses of any class.

But at least here in these halls of learning we can reach beyond the
Northern European heritage dietary customs in discussing food choices. Just
entertaining the thought that dairy food *could possibly* not be
nutritionally sound for *some people* is a beginning.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwuakee, Wisconcin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]