From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 2004 18:25:01 -0700
Sounds good - but what about fluoride in cities like mine where it is added
to the public water system - to prevent cavities, of course. Any way to
remove the fluoride? What will boiling do to the fluoride? AAP says no
fluoride supplements for infants under 6 mos. Is there a difference between
naturally-occurring fluoride and that which is added?
I have searched the water reports for various cities in my Metro area and
found that everyone has a different level. What's up with that? How do we
know it's safe for use in formula?

Phyllis

> Our agency has a double-sided paper on infant feeding in the educational
> packet.  On one side is "Helpful Breastfeeding Hints", written by yours
truly, and
> on the other side is "Formula Prep and Bottle Care."  We instruct the
parents
> to boil all water, tap, well, spring, and bottled for the first month
only.
> We are also doing an Environmental Health History Survey and part of the
> education includes information to run the cold water for 30 seconds to
one minute
> before putting it in the pan to boil or before drinking it or using it for
> cooking.  (To lessen the risk of contamination from lead in the water
pipes.)
> Water from the tap should only be brought to a boil and then boiled for
only 1
> minute.  Boiling it for longer can concentrate the lead that might be in
the
> water.  We also instruct to sterilize bottles, nipples and pacifers prior
> their first use, and then to wash in hot soapy water, and rinse well, or
to use
> the dishwasher.  Thus we are able to reach moms doing either
breastfeeding or
> formula.
>
> Mary-Jane Sackett, RN,CCE, IBCLC, CD(DONA)
> Certified Childbirth Educator, Certified Lactation Consultant, Certified
Doula
> Labors of Love Doula Services
> Childbirth Education, Lactation Consultation, and Birth Support
> Pittsfield, MA 01201

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
--- Glendale, AZ, USA
--- Scanned by Norton AntiVirus with auto-updates