Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:23:00 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (64 lines)
Just checked with the mom and baby has always been weighed naked....

but the good news is that she took him to the local LC and had him weighed and he was 
up to 9 lbs 14 oz (15 weeks old). He's gained 4 lbs in almost 4 months. The LC measured 
him and she said he'd grown half an inch as well. It was enough to put the mom at ease.

I know that doing email and telephone consults can be a controversial topic, but I believe 
that a mom who needs help should be given whatever help she can get no matter where 
she's located. I've always encouraged her to see the local LC and she does when she is 
able - but often she still has questions and insecurities that she's doing the right thing by 
continuing to breastfeed when her family practice doctor tells her he should be on 
formula instead. 

I manage an online forum for moms and those trying to conceive, so I'm online a lot and 
we "chat" often. I'm glad that I'm available to answer her questions and concerns as they 
arise.  She is trying so hard to do what is best for him despite bad advice from her 
doctor- who has already told her to start him on cereal (at 2 mos) and that he will 
discontinue her prescription for domperidone once he starts solids (at 4 mos per the dr, 
but mom wants to wait until 6 mos to start solids). She is becoming well educated on 
topics that are important to the health and feeding of her son so that she can stand up to 
what the doctor says. 

It would be easy if she could just find a new doctor but she said there are no other 
options in her locale. There is the possibility of changing to a doctor who cares for her 
husband and other children (step kids) but the last time she called they said they were 
not accepting any new patients. 

I've done the numbers myself - converting to grams and plotting on the who growth 
charts. I just wanted to know if there were any other suggestions or opinions on what 
might be going on. I thank everyone for their suggestions.

I realize that it's hard when you can't see the baby and that would be my first choice, but 
i'm never going to turn someone away because they don't live in the same town or area 
as me. That would go against everything I believe when it comes to helping others and 
supporting moms in their desire to breastfeed. 

it may have come across that i was anti-formula - but i know that babies need to be fed 
and I know what the options are. It was my opinion and that of the local LC that formula 
supplementation was unneccessary. However despite an increase in weight (although 
small) the doctor continues to push formula and solids each time she takes him in. This 
doctor also refuses to treat the recurring thrush with anything other than nystatin. Mom 
has followed the yeast protocols, but it seems to always come back - so something is off 
balance... That's a different issue altogether though. 

thanks again. 

anne hinze
lactation educator-counselor
niceville, FL

who is leaving to go to disneyworld on thursday for the first time ever. Taking Princess 
Madeleine, who is 2.5 and Prince Wyatt, 8 mos (not that he'll remember, but he's an easy 
baby)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2