From:
Alla Gordina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2013 18:07:10 -0400
On 5/19/2013 1:13 PM, Smith, Mary Kay wrote:
> I still think that using hydrogels to heal broken skin, along with breast shells and appropriate use of lanolin, along with improving latch is much more effective than warm water compresses. I have also had to "fight the fight" at a hospital that was using tea bags to treat nipple soreness. It might be psychological but the evidence is there for the more "medical" types of intervention.

In the aftermath of previous research discussion one could argue that
who would do the tea research if the only way of funding will be from
the hydrogel companies ;D?

Anyhow, before I will respond, may I remind the very old (but oh, so
true) joke?

A SHORT HISTORY OF MEDICINE: "Doctor, I have an ear ache."

2000 B.C. - "Here, eat this root."
1000 B.C. - "That root is heathen, say this prayer."
1850 A.D. - "That prayer is superstition, drink this potion."
1940 A.D. - "That potion is snake oil, swallow this pill."
1985 A.D. - "That pill is ineffective, take this antibiotic."
2000 A.D. - "That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root!"

So, regarding the tea bags. I don't like them either - neither in my
cup, nor on my patients.
But the tea itself... It is absolutely another story.

In my previous life I was a pediatric dermatologist in Moscow (then -
Soviet Union). 1980's there was the ... interesting time, to say the
least. It was mesmerizing to read about cold chain used to deliver
vaccines to Sahara Desert after being ordered by our the health
department to vaccinate kids with vaccines from refrigerator that was
without power for a week in the scorching heat of Moscow summer. I
actually got into breastfeeding because it was impossible to feed my
patients with eczema and allergies. The only formula we had available
was made of powered milk with visible crystals of table sugar and by the
time the kids got to see me pediatricians would usually stop the
breastfeeding as "the baby was reacting on bad mother's milk"

Anyhow, about helping mothers without gels, shells and lanolin.

The best medicine is always the breast milk.

Besides that - here are some remedies that are usually available for a
typical American family (at home or in the supermarket).

I like to use a lot of teas in my practice (I am an ex-Moscowite after
all and tea was a religion in Moscow).

Ask mom to make a cup of strong tea (not flavored, just the regular
black tea) from the/Camelia Sinensis/ leafs. I personally prefer the
black tea for the goodness of tannin, but experts may disagree. Cool it
down to the room temperature, may be even colder then that - mom can
decide herself what is the comfortable temperature for her - personally
- the colder the better.

Fold soft paper towel 3-4 times to make a pad big enough to cover the
areola. Dip in the cold tea, squeeze it (as if one wants to wipe the
furniture) and apply to the affected area. The moment mom will feel that
that pad is getting warm - throw it away and use the next one (that's
why the tea bags are not so good). Repeat at least 4-5 times,  at least
3-4 times per day. Follow with breast milk, lanolin, or, if needed,
topical abx ointment

Positives - the tannin is biding, healing, soothing, disinfecting -
wonder remedy. Cold temperatures would help to reduce pain and to
promote healing.
Negatives - tannin is known to over-dry tissues. But the breast milk
and/or ointments would work as a moisturizer, so usually that is OK.

I also like the healing capacities of topical camomile, calendula, and
aloe, but the tea can be the best here.

Other good healing remedies can be pastes made from a little bit of
olive oil and finely ground fresh (a) carrots, (b) potatoes - preferably
new,  (c) blueberries and strawberries and (d) sour apples. Apply paste
on a breastfeeding pad 1-2 times daily, eat the leftovers ;-) (OK, I am
not sure about raw potatoes, but the rest do taste good)
Positives - TNTC,
Negatives - staining and sometimes because of the natural acidity the
last two remedies can sting.

Extra virgin olive oil is a great remedy on its own too.
Sour cream or plain yogurt can do wonders to any skin problem - from
sunburn to sore nipples.

Bon appetite!

Alla
Alla Gordina, MD, IBCLC, FAAP