From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 15:14:26 +0100
My advice as a media savvy person on this is...

Breastfeeding toddlers on camera should not be seen with their own
mother, if either are named. (By which I mean, all right on the breast,
but not a recognisable shot of the mother's face.)

An anonymous mother and toddler feeding,  with a separate mother
discussing the issue, is the best security, as far as I can see.

If the mother is discussing nursing older children, no images of her own
children should be seen at all, not even as still photos.  Her children
should have complete privacy.

If a named child is seen, then the child's mother should not be
identifiable at all.  No face shots of the mother.

This is because any images of a breastfeeding toddler and mother, will
be put out on YouTube etc, with vile and obscene comments.  They will
still be there in 20 years time.  Any child, who is shown breastfeeding,
will not be recognised in the future, as their features change.  Their
own mother will always be recognisable, and so therefore, will provide
an identity link to the child-as-adult.

I gave this advice recently to a mother of a 4 year old who was being
interviewed live on tv.  She attended the interview without her own
children, but brought with her an 'anonymous dyad'.  The anonymous dyad
nursed live, in a side room, whilst the named mother discussed the
issues.  Thus the privacy and identity of the children of both mothers,
was preserved.  Especially as the face of the breastfeeding toddler was
engaged in breastfeeding!  You can see it on:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v3897204PNFgG2Q9

This mother was also given excellent advice on how to cope with media
interviews by our own Heather Neil!  :-)

Seeing comments daily that you are a paedophile, a monster, sexually
using your own child for your gratification... it's hard work.  This
will happen, as videos are posted by people in order to incite these
comments.

Hope this makes sense

Morgan  (bcc to Kathy directly as well as posted back in here)