Date:
Thu, 16 May 2013 08:42:48 +0100
Very interesting further dissections of this paper by Rachel and
Jessica - thank you, both!

Seems to me that really quite elementary 'errors' to put it kindly,
politely and legally,  were made in the recruitment to this study, in
the execution of it, in the selective writing of it, in the writing
of the abstract.

There seem to have been no researchers who knew about normal infant
feeding and normal infant needs.

I find it actually quite unnerving that the control group "was
provided with 15 minutes of learning how to soothe a fussy baby" as
Jessica points out....that's not a control, that's an *intervention*.
In addition, the control group (see my post earlier this week) were
permitted *uncontrolled* amounts of suppment and had up to almost
four times of it. That's not a control, that's *another*
intervention.  Either or both these interventions would be sufficient
to explain any outcome differences.

Rachel has pointed out some significant discrepancies between the
subjects recruited each group - each one easily enough to explain the
difference in results, too.

Most unnerving of all is the hint it all gives to the way media
outlets are courted and manipulated, and how not even respected
outlets challenge and explain properly.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK