Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 07:58:48 +0000
I agree with what you say.  The problem is not about doctors who do
not know.  Nobody can be expected to know everything, and family
doctors especially have an enormous field to cover.  The problem is
about doctors who refuse to learn or even listen and refuse to change
their approach despite all evidence that their approach is wrong.  The
problem is the doctor who uses his power to get his way.  As in a
letter I got today about a doctor who refuses to prescribe a
medication for what sounds like a serious problem which is potentially
fatal, unless the mother weans, despite lots of evidence and
references that the drug is safe during lactation.  They are the ones
that deserve the bashing.  It should be polite bashing, though.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC