From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 22:46:39 +0800
Susan Potts wrote:
>On the FTT baby:  I had a similar problem with my third baby (or
>non-problem once I switched Pedis).  A LLLL friend suggested adding
>butter to her cereal and she had an acceptable rate of weight gain for my
>Pedi.  Then I wondered why I was going to all the trouble and hassle and
>changed dr.s and no more problem at all!
>      I have a feeling something as simple as adding butter to the diet
>of the baby who is the topic for this thread of discussion may be enough
>to make a difference, perhaps butter or cream cheese on grahm
>crackers.......

Hi all,
This is not directed to Susan really at all, but I find this whole
idea of stuffing the baby with pure fats from artificial sources just
to get weight gain to keep a doctor happy is very puzzling.

In the next breath, he/she is likely to lecture to his patients on
the health risks of fats in people's diets! Surely just adding pure
fats is not going to create healthy growth in a baby any more than in
an older child or adult.

Perhaps Susan's approach should be heeded - find a HP who will assess
a baby holistically, and not just look at the weight in isolation. If
a baby is not gaining sufficiently for good health and growth (and
some of these babies probably are, just not according to some chart),
then the HP need to help the parents find out *why* - not just put a
'bandaid' on it by stuffing the kid with random fats!!

Maybe I am just feeling a bit cranky late at night. Hope no-one takes
offense at my tone! It is just that it doesn't make a lot of sense to
me.