From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 1995 08:56:18 -0500
Denise, you certainly have a full plate.  I don't know where you fit in a
private practice if you are nurse manager also.  The nurse manager here is
also IBCLC, but the hospital insists that there is no money for LC hours.
The money woul dhave to come from nursing staff hours, and we all know that
no nurse in her right mind is going to say "Oh sure, understaff us..we can
all take 7 mother/baby couples. NO PROB." Not. : (

So, there is no money, In fact the group of IBCLC people who are pretty
heavily into guiding the hospital towards baby friendly status (or at least
adhering to the WHO code? )..are  currently funded by a small grant. When
that is gone, the hospital will either have to put their own funds in or
stop all efforts in this direction. I must say that there are a lot of areas
where progress has been made because of the efforts of a small group of very
dedicated people. However, nurses can only do so much in an 8 hour shift,
and as usual, it is the nurses who get to do double duty for no extra pay.
IF THERE IS  TIME> if not, then tough. No latch? Tough.
What I would like to see is a hospital that adheres to the WHO code, that
does not accept formula money...or pamphlets or movies or perks of any sort.
Call me a purist. : ) but I work towards these ends every day.  In May, Dr.
Jack Newman is coming here as a speaker for VLCA, and I am looking forward
to hearing him speak on these very same issues..that of the status quo
supporting breastfeeding in meaningful ways, ie FINANCIAL.

Kathleen, who can get pretty fired up with very little provocation : )

Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC
Williston, Vermont USA
Remember to stop and smell the "roses!"