From:
Freyja May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 07:35:29 -0600

> Gonneke, IBCLC, LLLL, in Southern Netherlands, where, on a Area LLLleaders
> discussionboard, we are discussion ''medicalisation of breastfeeding by
> professional and lay breastfeeding resourse persons''

This is interesting -- I had a thought when I was reading that article that
someone linked to about breastfeeding policies in (I think it was) the
Phillipines. Here's the quote that jumped out at me:

http://mindanews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1079&Itemid=51

"Both Ong and Layug believe that the breastfeeding program should be pushed
with vigor down to the communities where many pregnant mothers deliver their
children without professional medical help.

"Without professional help, the new mothers do not get to know the benefits
and necessity of breastfeeding, they said."

Somewhere along the line, this was lost? Other milk advertisement made it to
place that medical care has not yet? This  reminds me of a conversation I
had a few months ago with another LLLL or two about how "odd" it is that
mothers in isolated rural areas in the US have to really put in effort and
drive a lot of miles in order to get breastfeeding support in places where
once upon a time every small community would have been full of breastfeeding
experience and mother to mother help. How sad that this appears to be the
story elsewhere as well.

Will you share more of your discussion's high points, Gonneke? This sounds
interesting.

Freyja, LLLL, CO, USA