From:
Kathy Lilleskov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2012 21:04:51 -0400
I heard that NPR piece and found it fascinating.The past couple of weeks the NY Times and NPR have done an wonderful job reporting on all sorts of exciting work being done on the human biome and the mapping of the genetic makeup of the 3 to 5 pounds of bacteria that we carry around in our bodies and the incredible diversity of those microorganisms. But my favorite story about bacteria this week was on Radio Lab (NPR) titled GUTS. They discussed an experiment done with mice where they gave half the mice probiotics and half didn't get any. The probiotic mice were less prone to despair (didn't give up as fast when thrown in a bowl of water) and had lower stress hormone levels when thrown into the water. The researchers surmised that the probiotic mice's brains were affected via the vagus nerve by the levels of good bacteria in the mice's intestines.They tested their theory by severing the vagus and the probiotic mice behaved like the nonprobiotic mice. This wonderful program is available via podcast if you just go onto the NPR website and look for Radio Lab.

Being a lactation consultant and working often with colicky babies, for whom I have been suggesting probiotics for years (of course with advice to discuss with pediatrician) it was actually thrilling to hear this mouse experiment. Is it possible that probiotics are not only helping the babies establish good gut flora and digest their food better, but also helping lower their coritsol levels and calming them via other means??? The Radio Lab piece went on to discuss the portential antidepressant effects of probiotics which were studied in an experiment done on humans.Can't wait to see the future studies...It will be so exciting when all this research starts explaining so many things that are so mysterious to us right now. It also makes me realize how truly destructive (though sometimes necessary) broad spectrum antibiotics are.

Kathy Lilleskov RN IBCLC
Kathy Lilleskov RN IBCLC