Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2010 14:36:14 +0000
>Includes a very nice quote from Pam Morrison- good on you pam!

Yes - enjoyed seeing Pamela quoted (though I bet she said 'weaning
happens slowly' not 'breastfeeding happens slowly'.)

I have mixed feelings about these stories.

It's great to see natural-term bf, but the UK media seem unhealthily
obsessed with it and I really dislike the  'outrage' and  'horror'
directed at it.

Similar stories appear in the papers about half a dozen times a year
(this  mother  was also in a national tabloid back in April, with the
same under-informed psychologist giving the 'expert' view
http://www.mirror.co.uk/life-style/real-life/2010/04/28/why-mum-amanda-hurst-still-breastfeeds-her-son-even-though-he-s-five-115875-22216742/.)
always with the 'OMG!!!!!!' tone and with an 'expert' making some
usually fatuous comment.

It inevitably gives a platform to awful, mother-hating,
breastfeeding-hating  'voice of the public' in response  - though by
the same token,  people who don't think that way can also comment.

One undoubtedly good thing is that it raises the bar - no one would
ever write a 'shock horror' story about a mother breastfeeding her
two year old!  How boring and everyday that would sound :)

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK

--
http://www.heatherwelford.co.uk