From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:38:50 -0400
Linda in the Carolinas,
to myself, "Oh what to do! It's an impossible situation!" So I am glad that
cooler heads have prevailed and begun to reply to your post. And now I think
I can put in my two cents.

I am convinced that for the most part it is parents that get
nipple-confused, rather than babies. If a baby settles down and eats well,
the parent gets a tremendous sense of satisfaction - whether it's at the
breast, with a rubber teat, a finger, or a cup. (I suppose a gavage tube
too.) We mess around too much with equipment and it gets between mom and
baby. We worry too much about the liquid and not enough about the love.

So the bottom line is the relationship - as the mom falls madly in love with
that baby, she knows that she is competent. (The first DVD any mom and dad
should see is "Baby Led Attachment" because then they will know that BABY is
competent too. Or stay for a few minutes with the baby STS and you can do
your own video!)

Loads of skin to skin. To breast as soon as possible. And you will see
changes in how your babies eat, and how parents choose to feed them.

Hope this helps. It's made a big difference here. And I agree - maybe we
can't do all Ten Steps. Maybe we can't even Do 5. But starting with Just One
- and pick "low-hanging Fruit" ! - even that will make a difference.

Dawn Kersula MA, RN, IBCLC etc etc
in Vermont USA