Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2016 20:38:43 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
"Date:    Sun, 19 Jun 2016 19:35:06 +0200From:    Naomi Salle <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: recovering from formula

Hi,

I am writing a breastfeeding protocol to bring into the Jewish communities.
I am trying to prove that just one bottle is medically detrimental enough
that it is worth braking the Sabbath for it,  not just for in the NICU.
I remember reading It takes 24 weeks to recover even from one bottle of
formula. How ever try as I might I can not find the source. If any one
knows I would much appreciate the source. Or if any one
know something else I could use or this I would also appreciate it.

with kind regards

Naomi Sallé IBCLC"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The issue with using an electric pump is turning on and off on Shabbat.  My understanding is that milk expressed with an electric pump that will be used that day can be used.  For example, mothers who are exclusive pumpers for any reason can use their electric pump and then give the baby the milk right after pumping.  Mothers expressing for a baby in the NICU, at the NICU, can give the milk to the baby right then.  Milk expressed for the purposes of maintaining production cannot be used [thrown out ;-(   ].  A grey area would be if the mother is expressing for a baby in the NICU, but she's at home and cannot travel to the NICU to give it to the baby: can she save the milk or does she have to throw it out?  If she can make arrangements with a non-Jew* to bring the milk to the NICU on Shabbat, there is no problem.  
Manual pumps and hand expression are always fine on Shabbat.  Another possibility is the Melodi pump which has a Shabbat setting** so the pump turns itself on every 3 hours for 30 minutes, then turns itself off.  https://lucinacare.com/melodi-prime.html  I get no commissions from that.  
Now, as a general Jewish law, if something is bad for you, it's either forbidden or recommended that you not do it.  Using formula, outside of medical need, would certainly qualify.   I don't have a specific source, but all sources I've ever read combined would agree.  
Julie Tardos
*Trivia: Elvis Presley worked as a "Shabbos goy" when he was young, doing specific tasks on Shabbat for observant Jews.  **Many ovens have Shabbat/Shabbos settings, although if you're not aware of it, you would never know.  
 ===="Females prepare ourselves enough to know that we will never be prepared. So, every decision and choice we make about our body is always the right one."--Kayla Q, Questions I've Been Asked As a Midwife

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2