From:
Jill Meltzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 17:50:46 -0500
I could use some suggestions for a puzzling problem.  I just got a call at
home from a WIC mom who has been exclusively breastfeeding a 2 mo. old.  She
returned to work at the beginning of the month and has been leaving pumped
milk for the baby, that she pumped the previous day at work.  Mother
describes the problem as that when baby is fed breast milk from the bottle,
he seems fine, but after she breastfeeds him - about 10 min. later he begins
to cry "in pain" and acts like he has terrible gas pains.  She says this has
begun happening whenever she breastfeeds, but not when her mother gives
breastmilk from the bottle since she returned to work.  She says her diet has
not changed and that the pattern and color, etc. re the bowel  movements has
not changed.  She says the baby screams in pain only after nursing.   She
doesn't think she hears frantic gulping from a very strong let down, only
quiet swallowing.  I suggested she cut out dairy for about 4 days and see
what happens, but this is a new one to me.  the baby did get his shots last
week, but I don't see how this could be related at this point.  I'd
appreciate hearing from those more experienced.    Mom was ready to wean
immediately out of frustration and not wanting to cause her baby any more
pain.