Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:46:17 -0500
This is in regards to the post about the PNS and a decreasing milk supply in
working moms.  We don't think the PNS is to blame.  We think it's probably
the schedule of pumping.  When a mom is at work, she pumps only 2-3 times a
day for 10-15 min., 5 days a week.  We all know that a pump will never be as
effective as a baby in stimulating the breast to make milk.  If the mother
was at home and nursing "on request", she would probably be nursing more
often and for longer amounts of time.  Women who return to work and continue
breastfeeding are doing the best they can.  Maybe our expectations are not
realistic for some of them to maintain a full milk supply under those
circumstances.  We support and encourage our clients who choose to do this
and expect it to go well, but occasionally, we have a mom who's milk supply
diminishes over time. It's an unfortunate potential side-effect of returning
to work.  It's a good argument for the development of more on-site daycare
where a mom could nurse her baby during the work day.

Maria Parlapiano, RN,IBCLC              Carol Smith, BA, IBCLC
The Lactation Resource Center, inc.
Chatham, NJ 07928