From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 08:44:06 -0600
I don't think I have seen this actual video being discussed, but the one
that came out several years ago and sold by Kitty Franz is similar in that
all the mother does is keep the baby from falling off her.  When showing it,
I always preceded it with a comment like, "The mother is keeping hands off
for the purpose of the video to show that baby CAN self attach.  Of course,
a mother will likely be a little more hands on and interacting with the baby
(as long as she doesn't try to do it for him), but by seeing what a baby can
do by itself should make us think twice about being too much 'hands on'".
I have been thinking about the examples we have of truly physiological birth
and unfortunately they are hard to come by in humans in today's world.  But
if you think about the mammals most closely resembling us, the apes (and I
can't believe that the addition of a soul or even higher intellect
eliminates the biological aspect of humans) I have never seen a film or
picture of ape mothers shaping their breast or doing anything more than
holding the infant in the right location and letting the baby self feed!
Maybe we should take a lesson from them.

Winnie