From:
The Mullers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:05:17 -0500
As regards the topic about weight loss, we need to look at the
probability of a lot of inflated birth weights from all the fluids these
mothers receive during labor. Our babies (at our hospital) seem to be
urinating very frequently the first day or two and will drop anywhere
from 5-10% of their birth weight in that time. They may be feeding well,
or not. Large meconium diapers also can range from 1-3 oz. I truly do
not believe we need be worried about this weight loss IF the baby is
feeding well and we encourage mothers to call in if no change in their
breasts occur or if diaper output goes down too far. I do think babies
at 10% weight loss should be assessed for proper feeding, but I don't
think we should necessarily be supplementing them unless other worrisome
criteria are present.
(Everybody at our hospital seems to go into a panic about the weight
loss, though).
Cheryl Muller RNC. IBCLC

Topics of the day:

  1. initial weight loss