From:
Alice Martino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:44:12 -0400
I don't have research on the impact of breastfeeding on a mother's nutritional
status but I find this question interesting in the context of biological
competence.  Evolution generally favors species with flexible nutritional
standards, those capable of surviving on a variety of foods.  Some species -- the
panda comes to mind -- are not adaptable.  They can survive only in a narrow
range of environment, temperature, foods, etc.  The human species is extremely
adaptable and thrives in most of the environments on earth, from the artic to
deserts and from islands to mountaintops.  Each of these environments offers very
different foods.  Therefore it seem highly unlikely to me that human beings have
narrow, rigid and difficult to attain nutritional needs.  Wouldn't it be much
more likely that we've evolved dependent on nutrients we are likely to obtain in
adequate amounts than on those we aren't?

Furthermore, what would be the evolutionary impact of an infant feeding system
that carried a high likelihood of draining the mother's reserves, weakening her,
increasing the risk that she will sicken, perhaps die, and be unable to care for
her children?  Her children would unlikely to survive and would be removed from
the gene pool.

In writing this, I'm mindful of the book Evolutionary Medicine, edited by Wenda
Trevathan, E O Smith and James McKenna, which in on my reading list now, and of
The Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff , which changed my life when I read it
years ago.  I'm certain many of you are familiar with these books but encourage
the rest of you to consider reading them.

Alice Martino
in central New York State, USA