From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:28:42 -0500
Someone earlier mentioned experiences with moms NOT being excessively
engorged etc after surgery.  One of the things that patients receive
before general anesthesia (or any anesthesia) is something to help dry
up secretions in the bronchial tree, to assist with anesthesia ( do we
have any anesthesiologists on here?).  I have noticed in my experience
working with these post-surgical moms, they do NOT tend to get engorged,
maybe because of the drugs used to control secretions.  In fact, over
the past 22 years I have been doing this in a hospital setting with
surgical floors, I've never seen a mom past a month get into mastitis or
engorgement issues from not expressing right after or during a surgery.
That's just my observation.