Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:49:24 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I searched the archives for info on this and found a wonderful question asked by Cassidy Hotz in October---that apparently didn't receive any answers (at least to this list). I am posting something myself on the same subject as I have the same unanswered questions. I have a patient that is breastfeeding her third baby, a 6 and 1/2 month-old boy (I have permission to post). She began running again when he was 5 months old and started experiencing bilateral knee pain, but only when running. However, about 3 weeks later, the pain became horrible even at rest and her kneecaps will not "stay in place".  She has seen a Chiropractor, Orthopedist, and 3 physical therapists since. The pain has become better with exercise, but is still there and she is trying to wean herself off of a daily med for inflammation. She also has a lesser degree of joint and muscle pain in other areas of her body. She says she'll typically feel OK for 3-4 days and then have a day so bad she can barely get around her house.  An xray of her knees shows her kneecaps are displaced and she is scheduled to have an MRI on the 29th. One of her questions to me was that all 3 physical therapists told her that her body will continue to produce the hormone relaxin as long as she is breastfeeding and that it is responsible for her pain and joint/ligament problems. Sooooo, she'll essentially just have to keep up with the exercises and deal with the rest. Is this true? I can find no real research on the subject, just anecdotal. Does anyone know more about this subject and what care may be available to her?

Thanks!

Denise Schuler MSN, RNC, IBCLC
Powell Valley Healthcare
Powell, WY

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2