Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2017 19:40:16 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Hi all, I have a question, and I have checked the archives, but don't see this addressed.  (hope it's not a silly question)
One of my colleagues, when she was breastfeeding a few years ago,  discovered that she had a high lipase issue, and ended up discarding her stash.  She did know that it was safe to feed to her baby, but her baby refused it.  She was also aware of what to do about it(scalding), but it was too late to do that with her stash.
Her main question/concern is, are there any problems/symptoms in babies when they drink milk that is high in lipase, directly from the breast.  I have copied her e-mail below, with permission;

First 48 hours : Jaundice requiring phototherapy. Top up with ebm aprox 30 ml
Discharged home: Frequent liquid green stools Approx 20 per day . Distinct smell
Follow up with Breast feeding clinic: weight loss , plan of care breast x 15min, top up with 45 ml ebm.
With- in 24 hours: further weight loss .

Admisson for UTI ( non- related) on iv abx
Continued frequent loose, brown/green stools with mucous .  Readmission for large amount of blood and mucous. Xray and ultrasounds.  Finding of large amounts of gas in bowels no other findings.
dairy free diet x 4 weeks ( no change with bowels )

Continued with breastfeeding x 4 month with occasional ebm top up
4.5 months started solids (cereal , veg and fruits) . decrease in the amount of watery stools more formed.
Attempted switch to bottle approx. 5 months all ebm thawed smelled sour like soap.
Switched to formula and solids . Resolution of watery mucous smelly stools .  Normal stool pattern .

The reason this has come up is that we have admitted a mother to our postpartum unit, who has pancreatitis and gallstones, and is awaiting surgery.  Her bloodwork results include very high lipase.  Her nurse (my colleague, as mentioned above) reports that this mother's baby is being investigated for the same type of stooling concerns as described above.
Could this just be coincidental?  Is there a possibility that breastmilk which is high in lipase can cause problems in babies who are receiving this milk directly from the breast?
Thanks in advance,
Doreen Vanderstoep RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2