From:
Kathy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:59:20 -0400
Dear Dani,
    Re: BF while taking allergy injections... it can be done successfully.
I am an IBLCE and a neonatal nurse. The hospital itself gives me allergies,
not to mention all the ampicillin that unknowing nurses shoot into the air
while preparing a med. Finally I resorted to injections 1x/wk. I had my
first child after  these injections began. The injections cause no adverse
effects. However, the sudafed can cause a reduction in milk supply. Saline
nose drops (infant formula) work well in conjunction with the injectionsd.
Any med that causes runny noses to stop running is also going to reduce
that milk production. One further note..if she can stand to not take extra
decongestants for the first six weeks, she may be able to have a half dose
of sudafed (or the like) when needed. Once her milk supply is well
established (and better if OVER established), she may not have any problems
with antihistamines/decongestants. It's a personal bodily reaction that she
will have to assess. By the time I was in my 2-3rd month of BF, I could
take anything. I did always try to use the nosedrops first as well as a
daily dose of caffeine for the headaches.(not great for BF but a must for
sinus headaches and is the better of two evils)  My daughter is now a
healthy 7 year old who plays the piano "like butter!" There's nothing more
agonizing that sinus pain and congestion that is ongoing. I'd rather pass a
kidney stone.  Tell her to treat her symptoms and the baby part will work
out fine. Other questions? Ask anytime.

Kathy Pierce,R.N., IBLCE
Cary, N.C.