From:
Dany Gauthier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 07:48:27 -0500
We always have to remember that breast tissue affected by mastitis become
very tender, same with the skin...And it usually depends on the severity and
stage of the mastitis, so yes, warm soothing compresses can become dangerous
if slightly to hot. Once at the hospital, a nurse called me and asked me for
the treatment for a mastitis. Draining and compresses, I said. She went
ahead and used an electric breast pump. It was quite painful for the
mom...The mext day, the obstetrician approaches and says:"Hey you, how do
you dare prescribe to a patient without having seen that patient...!" I
didnt nw what she was talking about. She then continued to say that the pump
had peeled off the skin from the breast. I did go see that mother, found the
skin was peeling from the burnt effect of the mastitis, which by my
observation was really an abcess...The only thing that really soothed this
mother was cabbage. We do have to be carefull...more so if we can not see
the patient at the other end of the phoneline...
Dany Gauthier, IBCLC
Lactation consultant at Ste-Justine Hospital, Montreal
Quebec