From:
Dianne Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:48:19 -0700
Hi All,

On a lighter (or sweeter, or grosser, depending on how you look at it....)
note, I bought a little booklet for my brother's birthday entitled "1952:
Remember When....A Nostalgic Look Back in Time."  In it is a big ad for
Karo Syrup (for those of you who may not know Karo Syrup, it's basically a
thickened sweetener used for baking).

It has a picture of a baby maybe about a year old standing up hoisting a
barbell in one hand with a book in another that's entitled "How to Grow Big
and Strong"  The caption next to the picture states "....Mom knows it's a
fine quick-energy food for growing children....and all us youngsters love it!"

The ad goes on to read "Most mothers know that doctors prescribe Karo for
the feeding of babies.... Isn't it reasonable that serving Karo Syrup to
older children is equally beneficial?  In fact, you should start right
after the bottle-feeding period...when it's up to you to form baby's good
eating habits."

I kid you not, this is what it said- "good eating habits!!"

I recall seeing in my own baby book (I was born in 1960) that my "formula"
consisted of some mix of Karo Syrup and who-knows-what- else.  Yoweee- it's
a wonder I'm not diabetic!

~Dianne Oliver, LLLL, IBCLC
Simi Valley, CA