From:
Chonyi Glassman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:37:20 EDT
Carol and Linda are talking about competition based on price of pumps like
the pump in style and problems with clients buying over the Internet.  I just
rethought my policy on selling such pumps.  I was feeling insulted and
deprived about loosing business to the Internet sellers and was even to the
point of telling some dear clients that they could get a better price on ebay
than from me.  And then it dawned on me-  This is capitalism, girl!  I have
lowered my price to compete with the net prices.  If many private practice
people did this,  many Internet outlets would cease to exist, since they are
mostly in it for the money, not because of a deep commitment to the work.  I
will still make a bit off the pumps, but competitive pricing is the way the
market works.  I am using the ebay price plus their shipping charges plus a
few bucks more for the speed and convenience factor as my new price.  I feel
very comfortable with this new system  And I will continue to give the same
level of service.  I would encourage all of us to consider what is holding us
back from competing with the discounters.

Chonyi Glassman, IBCLC
Chestnut Ridge, NY