Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:05:15 -0700
I have had a support group at the hospital where I work for the past three years.  At first I had a lesson plan, but I soon discovered by looking into the Mom's glassey eyes that what I was teaching wasn't being absorbed, so I changed to a less formal format where we just discuss whatever they bring up that week.  The group meets from 1 to 3 PM on Mondays, there is no charge, and you can drop in without pressure, whenever your baby wakes up, or you get a chance to get there.  We do weigh babies, and I find that many Moms come in a large part so that they can do that.  If they have been anxious and feeling that baby isn't doing well, they can feel instantly releaved if the wieght is up.  If the weight isn't what they thought it should be, we discuss that, get feed-back from each other, and work it through until that Mom is reassured that everything will be ok.  Not all Moms want to weigh, and that's fine too.  The scales is just there, and they weigh their own baby if and when they want to.  We have small sandwiches, cookies, juice and ice water provided by the hospital.  I also run a boutique, and I will bring in items if some Mom asks about something( I sell alot of nursing bras since our small town doesn't carry much), anything to make less for a new Mom to do.  Some moms and babies come faithfully for well over a year, and some just a time or two.  The support group is one of the most gratifying parts of my job.  Good luck with your plans, let us know how it turns out.  Rebacca Garcia, RNC, IBCLC