From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:04:26 -0500
Dear all:

The babies that I see that have THE MOST DIFFICULTY transitioning between different
feeding modes are those that have digestion issues.  These are the babies that I try to keep
from having to take bottles because they can have a much harder time transitioning back
and forth.  So, with a baby that is fussy and has green stools, I would actually try to stay
away from bottles if at all possible.  Sometimes these babies are put on a pump and bottle
feed routine by pediatricians who want to know what the baby is taking.  This is always a
nightmare scenario for me because it is much harder to get them back feeding comfortably
at the breast.  Unless  you have an ultracentrifuge (and I most vehemently do not
recommend this approach) how would you even know the fat content anyway?  And if you
did know the fat content you would have to expend a lot of energy because every single
pumping would have a different fat content.  Feed to feed, breast to breast, there is HUGE
variation in fat content.

Best, Susan BUrger