From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 21:17:12 EST

In a message dated 2/2/2006 8:35:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Several  people have written about their thoughts that raising the dollar
cost of  donor milk to the users will raise the value of human milk in the
public's  mind and that this will lead to more babies getting breastmilk in
the  US.
This seems to me a specifically US-American line of reasoning.   There are
places on earth, believe it or not, where reason speaks almost as  loudly as
a fat wallet, especially when reason has an economic argument on  its side,
namely that the entire society benefits from making the society  amenable to
babies getting breastfed.  In many of these places, again,  believe it or
not, unless a healthy product has a cost that is within reach  of the health
services' budget, it will not be valued, it will be  rejected.  It will be
suspected that the price is inflated for the  sake of profit alone, and a
cheaper product that is perceived to be  equivalent will be chosen instead.
The notion that taking something and  inflating its cost will somehow make it
seem more worthwhile, is nothing  short of bizarre from the standpoint of a
welfare state resident.

Dear Friends:
    Yes, we are dealing with the vast differences in  national character
here. Even though artificial feeding is linked with  morbidity and mortality, it
is promoted in the US because of vast corporate  backing, of misplaced moral
judging that make women self-conscious about  breastfeeding in public or for any
length of time beyond infancy, and several  generations of a culturally
induced lack of value of mothers, mothering and  female-specific and unique
function.    We love breasts in  the States, we just want them to look good. We don't
want them to be used for  babies ( at least not for long, and not in public)
, we want to use them to sell  beer and toothpaste instead. While tremendous
strides have been made in the past  2 decades towards increasing breastfeeding
initiation and duration, helped by  the WIC program, our national initiation
rate is now dropping and women are  fighting battles state by state to be able
to nurse their babies wherever they  are. Where there should be milk banks in
every city where there is a NICU,  there are but 6 or 7 in the whole country.
4+ million births/ year and we have  yet to reach the goals for our nation
that were set back in 1984 for an  initiation rate of 75%.
    This is a sad commentary on our national  focus.
    I am envious of other countries where the welfare  of women and children
is truly a national priority. Isn't Norway the only  country in the world
where human milk is incorporated into the Gross National  Product?
    Lucky Rachel to live in such a place. I wish we had  such a viewpoint
here in the States......
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com