From:
"Ann M. Calandro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 1996 10:36:58 EDT
I am trying hard to think of ways to discuss the distribution of free formula
packs to new moms with nurses.  I  have been carefully reading the Lactnet ideas
and I am finding them helpful.  What I need is to have all my thoughts together
to explain this to the staff so that they will be able to see the issue a little
clearer.  It is extremely cloudy in their minds at this time that anything FREE
could ever do harm.  It is a difficult issue to explain.

Just yesterday my daughter had gotten a soft drink that she didn't ever like
before so I asked her why she was drinking this.  She said she still didn't like
it, but she got it because she had gotten it free as a winner in the top of a
type of soda she does like.   She felt obligated to get the soda and to drink it
even though she doesn't like that kind.  Because it was FREE.

I myself have gone to the mall to buy books because I got a coupon for $5 off if
I purchased $20 worth of books.  I  thought I might find some books I liked and
I could save so much money.  At my breastfeeding support group the other day, I
was dismayed because the moms were all excited about being in some Welcome
Additions Club and getting all these coupons for free formula.  They all felt
obligated to go and get it since it was free and they might need it.  It would
be great for traveling or church or this or that.  They were all totally nursing
their babies but felt the need to go and get this formula.  I guess it is kind
of like my daughter going to get the soda or me having to "use" my coupon.

It is a very very interesting thing, the way we feel about free things.  And
this is not lost on big business.  What kind of things have you gotten for free
that you didn't really want or need?  I know I have tried free coupons many
times for things, and sometimes I like them and sometimes I don't, but if the
coupon says FREE I always clip it out and take it to the store.  This passion to
get something for nothing runs very deep.

Ann Calandro,RNC,IBCLC
Waxhaw, NC