From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 06:53:14 -0500
Dear Barb,Good morning. These two situations are both fairly easy to
discern. I suggest for number one, you go to Cindy Curtis' marvelous
webpages and look at Jack Newman's candida protocol. What you describe
could be well treated topically with Jack Newman MD's All Purpose Nipple
Ointment cream.  Also, you can find the link to LLL's Karen Zeretzke's
wonderful piece on candida. I don't have it handy at the moment, but
someone will post it. Mother should be very careful with positioning,
not allowing baby to pull away like that.  Break suction! Ouch. She
should probably be cultured for bacterial infection also, and EVERYONE
needs treatment if it is in fact, candida of some sort. Please check out
the archives for information on thrush/candida. There is an encyclopedia
of information in our eight years of archives. Another resource would be
the new Breastfeeding Answer Book, by Stock and Mohrbacher, put out by
LLLI. www.lalecheleague.org.

For situation number two,the BFAB would be a good reference on jaundice.
If the baby is gaining weight ok on breastmilk and has no other health
problems, and has a 16.4 bili, she does not need to get off breastmilk,
chances are. This is a dated intervention. WE have another boatload of
information on this in our archives.  I'd look at Jack Newman MD's piece
on jaundice again at www.breastfeedingonline.com, go to LLL's site, and
read in the BFAB, or in Ruth Lawrence MD's book. Breastfeeding: A Guide
for the Medical Profession, on Jaundice.  Or in Kathleen
Auerbach/Riordan's book as well. This subject is well covered
everywhere. The BFAB is wonderful and new and affordable. Order at
www.lalecheleague.org. Kathleen

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Listowner Lactnet listserv
Archives: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html

Hi,

I have to situations with which I'd like advise.

First, a year old baby, no previous nursing problems, no sign of thrush
in baby or mom, in a Northern climate, nursing 2-3 times a day.  Nipple
is dry, flakey, and has a 1/3" crack around the base of the nipple.
Extreme pain with nursing, little pain inbetween.  Good latch but baby
stretches nipple by bringing head away from mother which, before the
crack was not a problem.

Second. 7 day old baby, breastfeeding, has phototherapy in the hospital
within the first week which brought bili down.  Had a 16 bili yesterday
had a 16.4 bili today.  Mom took baby off breastmilk the last 24 hours
and fed formula.  Ped diagnosed breastmilk jaundice and ordered no
breastmilk for 2-4 days.  What do you think?  Any studies to back up
putting baby back to breast?

Thanks for help