From:
Sue Berres <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 19:45:00 +0100
While we are talking about latex allergies, it seemed like
a good time to mention that children with spina bifida are
especially prone to this - about 30% develop allergies to latex.
They should have a completely latex-free environment from
day one - no latex in gloves, pacifiers, bottle nipples,
tubing of any sort, tubing connectors, teething toys, etc.

I might be able to dig up some references about latex-free products
if anyone is interested.

Sue Berres, OTR, PT
(formerly Senior Peds Occupational Therapist, Univ. of Virginia, USA
and very interested in keeping up with breastfeeding issues while
on temporary leave from that job to work in adult rehab in Germany)