Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 11:23:01 EDT
I have read with interest the notes on being "pushy" about breastfeeding.  As
a practicing OBGYN, I am often the first person who brings up the subject of
breastfeeding.  I don't let this opportunity slip away.  If we physicians do
not support, and support strongly, breastfeeding, then why should we even
bother to talk about subjects such as weight control and diet, smoking, drug
use, etc. in the context of providing patient care?  I will stop talking
about any of these subjects (and yes, will even stop being "pushy" about
them) when someone can show me the research that none of them really matter
to our overall health.  It is just as important to "push" breastfeeding as it
is to "push" smoking cessation, moderation in alcohol use, exercise for
health maintenance, and all the other lifestyle modifications we know to be
beneficial.  I for one will continue to try to convince my patients to
breastfeed by using the best tools I have: education and information

Stewart Kernes, DO