Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 16:44:49 -0500
If a friend had not nursed my first baby I probably would have believed
the nurse in the hospital who told me that I had the wrong type of nipples
and that I was one of those women who would not be able to breastfeed.

However I am a stubborn Brit. who kept on trying for several weeks
until exhaustion set in. Fortunately my friend showed up at the right
time.  She put me to bed and told me she would nurse my baby for the
next 8 hours.  I then slept for the first time in weeks and later that day
my baby nursed well from me and began to gain weight from then on.

I often think that if I hadn't managed with the first what would have
happened
with the other children.  I do believe that friend changed my life and the
lives
of my children.

No  I don't recommend it nowadays but often wish I could.

Ruth Bacon   IBCLC   (thrilled to learn that Katherine D  and Kathleen B
are both
coming to Toronto in February )