From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:34:07 -0500
It is a fine line we walk when we try to promote the normalcy and "OKness"
of nursing unencumbered while at the same time being sensitive to the
feelings of moms who aren't yet comfortable with public nursing.  It is
probably true that in talking about how to nurse "discretely" we may appear
to promote the idea that it is the ideal approach and at the same time, by
talking only about not using cover-ups, we may turn some moms off to
breastfeeding at all.

When I would talk to a group of moms, whether in prenatal class,
individually post delivery, or at support groups, I would talk about or show
cartoons pointing out the double standard we seem to have in our society.
Wet t-shirt contests, cleavage revealing and enhancing clothing, etc being
accepted while nurturing an infant is sometimes looked at askance.  I then
point out our state's legislation regarding public breastfeeding (basically
it says no ordinances regarding public exposure can be applied to a mother
nursing her baby).  I make sure, when showing slides, to include slides
showing how one can nurse with little or nothing showing and without the use
of extra cover-ups.  Finally, I would acknowledge that not everyone is
comfortable with public nursing, at least in the beginning.   I tell my own
story of nursing in public in rather close quarters, not trying to hide the
fact, but learning later that some people had no idea what was going on.
Only after all of the above would I mention some ways of covering up if mom
felt she was more comfortable that way.

Don't know if this approach works with everyone, but I would see many moms
in our hospital support group move from the "well placed blanket" to just
nursing without making any special effort to either cover or "let it all
hang out".  Again, it is a fine line in our society and I look forward to a
day when it is totally a non issue.

Winnie