From:
Rachelle Lessen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 20:00:59 -0400
Dear Jane:

Regarding your best friend's granddaughter who was born with a congenital
heart disease and the mother was not encouraged to breastfeed.  I work in the
Cardiac Intensive Care Unit at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia.  I have
told all the nurses to let me know as soon as they find out that a mother is
interested in breastfeeding.  I like to meet the parents as soon as possible,
usually the day after delivery.  In most cases the mom has received some
information about pumping from the LC at the birth hospital.  But I like to
present them with a packet of information on pumping and handling milk.  I
always stress how important frequent pumping is (within reason - their lives
are so hectic with commuting back and forth to the hospital ).  I order them
a double pumping kit, and I show them our pumping rooms.  I try to spend some
time with the mom the first time she pumps.  And I give them information on
renting a pump for home.

It's hard for these mothers to keep pumping, sometimes for several weeks,
especially if the baby is not getting any oral nutrition.  But I always
encourage them as much as I can.  After all, what could be better for a
stressed, post-op baby in a hospital unit full of pathogenic organisms than
breastmilk!  I think the mothers are happy to be doing something for their
very sick babies, even if the breastmilk will be provided in a gavage feeding
tube or a bottle.

Eventually many do get to breastfeed their babies.

I wish your friends grandchild all the best.

Rachelle Lessen. R.D.