From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 14:38:05 -0700
I was looking at my breastfeeding bulletin board trying to think of what slogan to put at the top - one that would be the ultimate convincer for moms to breastfeed and my mind kept coming back to "Babies love it!" or something similar. I have all the different health things listed - otitis, GI, allergy, obesity, etc... so I'm thinking why do I keep coming back to baby liking breastfeeding?

It finally occurred to me. It's "You can't make me do it". When people feel forced into something, the response is to resist - and one of the ways to resist breastfeeding that is "politically correct" is to minimize the risks of formula feeding - as there's really no difference between formula feeding and breastfeeeding and besides I was bottlefed and I turned out OK. I find these people are a really "hard sell" - that's why I think the "Babies love it!" approach might work.

I've seen families put themselves near financial ruin just to get their kids what they "want".

I guess it's a matter of control.  What do you guys think?

Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC