From:
Leslie Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 18:42:12 -0500
Laura made some excellent points, except that (MNSOHO) is that this has resulted not in people being frightened of babies - but rather dismissing them and most things to do with them. As Laura pointed out, careers associated with babies and children are viewed with less appeal and regard, but also so are many other issues. Feeding, whether it be human milk or formula are not treated as important or by most, as even different - usually as of no consequence or interchangable. Many feel the need to dismiss evidence of the superiority of human milk and breastfeeding as only the efforts of zealots or fanatics who don't understand that 'many' women can't breastfeed, besides there is no real difference so what's the big deal.

I think however, that the most important point was mentioned in a post a couple of days ago, babies have no voice - they can't tell us what is wrong. They can't lobby, vote or control money, so they will never have a voice or place in our type of society, except for those few professions that have and continue to speak for them.

Well I'll climb down from the soapbox . . .again.

Leslie Ward
Fort Hood, TX