From:
Georganne Hampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:30:10 -0600
<<<Theoretically then, mothers who move ad lib and assume various upright
positions during labor and give birth without IV's or drugs so as to have
robustly latching babies that feed early and very frequently, should
experience only the increased volume due to milk, without edema.

Or is this too rosy a picture? I rarely see such moms, perhaps because
they don't have problems that warrant a consult in the WIC LC office.

How does this explanation square with the experience and observations of
others?>>>

Anecdotally, it holds very true for me.  First birth in hospital, plugged up
to IV for 12 hours, limited movement, no medication but pitocin though.  I
had a big baby who was a nursing champ thankfully as I was REALLY engorged
from swelling.  Second birth at home, no IV, free movement. Another big ol'
baby who took off nursing great.  I was a bit heavy when my milk came in but
no swelling.  What a difference!

Georganne
Doula, Breastfeeding Educator

Brick walls eventually crumble precisely because people keep busting their
heads against them.
Barbara Wilson-Clay, BS, IBCLC

Cloud 9 Doula Services
http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/1stimestar/doula.html