From:
Deena Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 1995 14:56:47 -0400
In reference to the school that didn't want a student to set a precendent by
unlimited time at breastfeeding (I wish they could do something to prevent
establishing a precedent about pregnancy in high school), I recently wrote
a letter for one of my patients to the school district saying that if they
could not find suitable place for her to pump, then they would need to
continue the home schooling that she received during the end of her
pregnancy.  I don't see how this is any different from the appropriate
accomidations that school as required to make for children with disabilities
(Not that I consider breastfeeding a disability but the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA) can be quite useful sometimes.  I'd be interested in
any legal opirnions on this. Besides, didn't the unions in 1919 guarantee
every women 2 half hour  nursing breaks per day?  The story of the woman
losing her job is also horrible. I really hope that some of the lawyers here
come up with suggestions (ADA comes to mind again...)
--
*  Deena Zimmerman MD MPH                          *
*  Department of Pediatrics                        *